About the Fest
Since 2001, the Rochester High Falls International Film Festival has become one of the leading cultural events in western New York State, boosting tourism with attendees who spend an estimated $1 million in and around our downtown festival sites. The Festival's mission is to feature exceptional work of women in all areas of film, video and new media, highlighting Rochester's standing as the home of motion picture film (George Eastman) and the women's rights movement (Susan B. Anthony).
RHFIFF continues to attract nearly 100 films each year, including:
* 35 feature-length films, with audience selections that have gone on to win Academy Awards
* Four programs of short films, animation and documentaries
* A program of international children's shorts plus young adult feature films
R/HFIFF features special celebrity guests every night of the Festival. Past stars have included:
* Christine Lahti, Candice Bergen, Angela Bassett, Joan Allen, Sally Kellerman, Diane Ladd and more
* Hollywood mega-producer Lauren Shuler Donner
* Acclaimed directors Vicky Jenson (SHREK), Agnieszka Holland (THE SECRET GARDEN), and more
* The High Falls Film Festival recently merged with the Rochester International Film Festival, the world's oldest continually held short film festival (since 1959), to become the Rochester/High Falls International Film Festival. Our new program of short films will feature the best narratives, documentaries and animation made by emerging filmmakers from the USA and abroad, selected by a pedigree short film jury.
* RHFIFF works with The George Eastman House, The Rochester International Jazz Festival, Rochester Institute of Technology School of Film and Animation, and a number of other premiere organizations to guarantee the best possible programming at the Festival and throughout the year.